This Page

has been moved to new address

The man might be the head of the house, but the woman is the neck

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Reel Mama: The man might be the head of the house, but the woman is the neck

Thursday, July 28, 2011

The man might be the head of the house, but the woman is the neck

Recently I was chatting with a group of moms, and I was surprised when one of them announced:  “I figured out how to manipulate my husband from the very beginning.”  Spouse manipulation is a touchy subject.  I didn’t want to admit to myself, let alone advertise to a crowd of my peers, that I was gifted and talented in the area of spouse manipulation.  But in the ice rink we call marriage, I have to admit that I’ve pulled off a few triple axels of manipulation in my time.

One of my favorite movie quotes of all time is from My Big Fat Greek Wedding: “The man might be the head of the house, but the woman is the neck, and she can turn the head any way she wants!”  I have to admit, it’s kind of fun being the neck.

I remember when my husband once told me, “I’m psychic. I think there’s something you’re hiding from me, and you won’t tell me about it till it’s too late.”  It was true.  My mind flashed.  I bit my lip and looked away.  How could he know this?  Because he knew me!  Yes, I had gotten us tickets to see Cher in Vegas, and I hadn’t told him yet.  Soon I’d have him wishing he could turn back time, to the moment when he didn’t yet know he was going to a Cher concert.  “But you’ve got me, babe!” I’d reassure him, as if this were some kind of consolation prize that would make that upcoming all-you-can-eat buffet of diva more palatable. 

Even as I write, I admit I’m plotting how I’m going to get my husband to do that next thing he doesn’t want to do.  Please don’t tell him.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home